Last month saw a nationwide celebration of window films, as April 30 marked the second annual National Window Film Day. Governors and mayors across the country united to express support for the window film industry and the role that it can play in keeping energy costs down for buildings. One of the participating governors, Charlie Baker of Massachusetts, even called window films "one of the most cost-effective means of reducing our carbon footprint."
Now seems as good a time as any to focus on the benefits of window film, and why you might want to use them in your home. With all of the recent attention being paid to it, homeowners may be curious as to what window films can contribute to their home and why they're worth investing in.
Here are five reasons to purchase a window film:
Window film can apply easily to windows of many different shapes.
- Adaptability: Window film can apply easily to windows of many different shapes, allowing for equal protection among transom windows, bay windows and other specialized types. If one room contains several types of windows, homeowners can treat them all with the same film and still get an equal distribution of light and heat.
- Better awareness of sun protection: Skin care doesn't end just because a person has gone inside. A video released from the International Window Film Association (IWFA) surveyed people on the street to see whether the average person was aware of the impact of excessive sunlight on their home, and the benefits of using films. By reaching out to experts, homeowners could get to see the beneficial effects of window film firsthand and witness over time the difference that protection against UV rays makes in the house and health.
- Consistent clarity: Once the film is applied, homeowners can still have the same level of transparency on their window glass as if it wasn't there. This way, window film add their advantages to a space without making it any more difficult to look through a window. As the diagram on our site shows, visible light is let in while solar heat and radiation are kept out. With electronic window film, the opacity can be adjusted easily for homeowner preference, but the same level of protection is always there.
- Energy loss control: By installing window film, homeowners will take more of a stand against heat loss and proactively lower their energy costs. The IWFA video says that window film can contribute to "as much as a 30 percent reduction in cooling costs."
- Keep glass for longer: In his statement, the governor of Hawaii, David Ige, said that the "reduction of outdated glass in our landfills" is an advantage of window film. The windows you use will provide long-lasting protection if they are treated with the right film.
Contact Metropolitan Window Fashions to set up an at-home design consultation today to find out more about window film and how it can benefit you.